Monday, June 14, 2010

Food Co-op and a Recipe

I have recently joined a Food Co-op, Urban Acres. We are two orders in and I am loving it so far. This week our order contained all kinds of yummy in season, local and organic fruits and veggies.


Grapefruit
Oranges
Cantaloupe
Bananas
Lemons
Peaches ::Local::
Blackberries ::Local::
Vidalias (sweet onions) ::Local::
Yellow Squash ::Local::
Zucchinis ::Local::
Red Butter Lettuce ::Local:: (full shares only)
Green Beans ::Local::
Potatoes ::Local::
Green Leaf Lettuce


I also ordered some different local, organic, grass fed, lived a healthy happy life before it was killed meat, eggs and dairy.


I am really excited about this and I have found myself eating more and more veggies during the day but it has made my menu planning a little more difficult because I never know what my share of food will contain. So tonight I did a little creative cooking and came up with my own version of a lettuce wrap using all ingredients from our Urban Acres purchases.



Ground Buffalo Lettuce Wraps


*1 lb of ground Buffalo Meat

*1/2 of a vidalia onion

*1 clove of garlic

*1tsp Sesame Seed Oil

*1/4 cup of  Soy Sauce (gluten free)

* Tbs Rice Vinegar

*1tsp minced ginger

Brown the ground meat with onions and garlic.  Mix the other ingredients up in a small bowl.   After the meat and onions are browned add half of this sauce to the ground meat and cook on low for a few minutes.  

Serve in butter leaf lettuce leaves and top with Oriental Sesame Slaw  ( I changed this recipe a bit,  I used miracle whip and used less)

No comments:

Post a Comment