Wednesday, January 6, 2010

WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!!!

My dad's home made ice cream...ahhhhhh, I dream of his ice cream! As a kid I was allergic to dairy. I had apple juice as my milk replacement, so ice cream was WAY out of the picture for me. (Seriously, I put apple juice in my cereal!)
I remember, the smell of the salt and the sounds of the maker, as my dad would make the summer batch for my brother and sister to enjoy. [note: I would get to taste it...so I knew exactly what I was missing!]I would watch every pour he would make, dreaming of the day, I would be able to dive into a cold bowl of his freshly frozen homemade ice cream. My Dad's recipe is the best, it was his dads. It really is the best. Really! He has won countless contests. Of all the ice cream for me to dream of, I at least knew, the day I would be able to eat it, I would be eating the best. To this day-at 32 years, 11 months, and 21 days old, I have never had ice cream better than his. And I have had my share of ice cream!
In high school, I decided, I would begin to reintroduce dairy into my life, and what do you know, my allergy was mostly gone! MMMMM ICE CREAM!!!! My 19th birthday was at Baskin Robins! MMMMM ICE CREAM!!!!! I really still can not get enough of it. Seriously.

So, with my love of ice cream combined with this new "journey", I have set out to find a great ice cream that I can enjoy with my child- the way I so longed to enjoy it with my dad. It is one of many traditions I do want to pass on. This recipe is what I have come up with. It needs some tinkering, it is not quite up for the ice cream contest, but it is closer than anything store bought I have tried.

1 (14 oz) Can of Coconut milk (organic & full fat)
1 3/4 cups almond milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or agave)
1 TBS Vanilla (or anise)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a mixer. Cover and Chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Then pour cold mixture into ice cream machine and follow directions according to the manufacturer.

Any additions? -cookies, nuts, chocolate chips, pickles, whatever....add it about 5 minutes before the end of the freezing time.
Scoop and Serve with bibs....
TAAAAAAAAA-DAAAAAAAAAA! ICE CREAM!
In-Joy!
Dannielle

No comments:

Post a Comment