Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yummy GF Tortillapita!

I made these tortillas the other day, due to a huge craving for burritos. My daughter LOVES bean burritos, and I had left over black beans from a meal the previous night. I tried this and it worked! It really worked! We ended up making quesadillas, but, WOW were these tasty and light. They have the texture of pita bread, but no yeast, no wheat, no dairy, and no egg!

I am so excited to have this new recipe! I made a full batch that made 12 tortillas, and froze half of them. They have been just as good reheated!

I think I may try them a tad thicker next time, with a lower heat, for pizza crust! I guess I will let you know how that turns out.

For the Tortillapita:
combine:
1c rice flour/millet (you can use all of one, or half and half)
1/3c arrowroot
1/3c tapioca flour
1/3 c fava bean flour
2 tsp guar gum
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp zylotol (or sugar)
1 1/4 tsp sea salt

Cut in 2 Tbs organic vegetable shortening
Slowly mix in 3/4 - 1 c warm water (closer to 3/4)
Heat a skillet or griddle to med
Form 12 even balls
Roll or spread each into flats about 1/8 " thick
Place on griddle until the first side bubbles (3-5 minutes)
The second side doesn't take too much longer
Flip only once (they are chewy if you flip them more than once)

In-Joy!
Dannielle

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to have to try this recipe, as I have really been craving a good thick (like my old babysitter used to make) tortilla.

    [I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and gluten intolerance--if I get glutened it makes both flare up, much like you saw in your little girl)

    Thanks for the recipe and comments. I know what I am going to try this weekend--BURRITOS!!!

    ReplyDelete