Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Energy Sustaining Breakfast Bar

OH! The cold! I have such a hard time rolling out of bed when its below 70 degrees outside...and this "Arctic Freeze" isn't helping! They are saying it will get into the TEENS! in Texas? urgh.
These energy bars have been a huge help getting me going these crisp mornings. Late one night, I happened to flip the DVR to this episode of Sara Snow....
I am so glad I did! This energy bar has been my fantastic morning friend. (These and my morning chat sessions with Kyla Jean over Yahoo....) I have a stash of them at work, in the refrigerator as well as a stash of them in the freezer at home. I have made a few changes to the original recipe, you will see them in pink. Both options are fantastic and quite the boost for a slow morning, or sluggish afternoon. I lay mine in a cookie pan flat, cool, then cut into bars. I wrap each in wax paper, for ease of the grab-n-go. (For me, the paddies looked a little too much like something you would find on the bottom of your boot after walking in a pasture...since I do that oh so often.)

Sara Snow :: Official website for Green Living Expert and TV Host Sara Snow:

"ENERGY SUSTAINING BREAKFAST BARS
This recipe was inspired from a diet recipe for breakfast bars. I took that recipe and turned it upside down, added fiber, protein, antioxidants and lots of healthy goodness. These are incredibly easy to make and keep on hand for grab-and-go mornings.
INGREDIENTS
2 ½ cups old fashioned organic quick oats (quionoa flakes)
½ cup whole flax seed
¼ cup organic dark cocoa power (or slightly less) (carob powder)
½ cup natural peanut butter (sunbutter)
½ cup honey (light agave nectar)
½ t spirulina
½ - 1 cup HOT water
INSTRUCTIONS
Stir ingredients together.
Form into individual sized paddies, like hamburgers.
Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in freezer or fridge."

In-Joy,
Dannielle

3 comments:

  1. I made these last night and they are so good!! we ended up having a small one for dessert.

    I didn't have a chance to get the spirulina but I added a 1/2 cup of chia seed gel. I also added a 1 tsp of Sea salt.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM...SWEET AND SALTY! Good idea! I will try that in my next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet rolled in papitas would be FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete